Bardege-Layibi Division Council Set To Pay Families For The Relocation Of 168 Graves

The Town Clerk of Bardege-Layibi Division has unveiled their commitment of paying for the relocation of about 168 graves that were affected when various road clearance and opening works were being undertaken in the previous years.

Drakuma Malik says money has been allocated in division’s budget for the 2026-2027 financial year.

He urges the community to be patient and bear with the division leadership because preparations are underway to ensure that payments are effected in the next financial year.

Acaye Robert, the outgoing secretary for administration, finance, planning and investment for Bardege-Layibi Division says Council is supposed to pay a sum of 200,000 Uganda shillings as costs for each grave relocation.

Acaye says over 20 roads were cleared between 2021-2025 by the division noting with concern that despite his 20 years in office as Councillor, only three graves were compensated for relocation by the Council.

He explains that when road opening project are under taken by the Local Council, normally an agreement is first reached upon with the community.

This is then followed by compensation for the relocation of the remains of the deceased which involves providing prior notice to the relatives regarding the Resettlement Action Plan. 

While handing over office equipments on Thursday last week, Oola Patrick Lumumba, the outgoing Mayor for Bardege-Layibi Division told the Town clerk to prioritize clearing such pledges before they turn into political statements.

By Martin Odong

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More Articles & Posts